"Operation Call it Quits" is a partnership at the local, state and federal level that includes 94 actions targeting illegal robocall operations, including shutting down robocall companies and issuing fines in the millions.
"Operation Call it Quits" is a joint-agency crackdown on companies responsible for more than a billion illegal robocalls.
"Nearly all robocalls are illegal unless you’ve given consent in writing," Andrew Smith, director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection, said during a press briefing.
The initiative comes at a time when illegal robocalls have permeated not just household and business landlines but also hospital phone lines.
For consumers, simply answering a call from an unknown number can increase the likelihood of further robocalls because it signals to scammers that the phone number is active, says the FTC.
Indiana Attorney General Curtis Hill mentioned during the briefing that last year alone $10. 5 billion was lost to phone scams in the United States.
Earlier this month, the Federal Communications Commission gave wireless carriers the green light to block robocalls for customers by default.
"Operation Call it Quits" is a crackdown on companies responsible for more than a billion illegal robocalls.https://t.co/rOfRt8SDCY— CNET News (@CNETNews) June 25, 2019